She believed she could, so she did

A little something you should know about me:  I am addicted to home improvement shows.  If it's on HGTV or DIY I probably watch it.

Another thing you should know about me: I live in a house with some areas in need of serious improvement (hello upstairs bathroom).

So I love home improvement shows.  I need some home improvement.  You would think I could do some home improvement.  Not really.  Not at all.

Loving something doesn't always mean you possess the knowledge to do it.  I could probably wield a hammer and do the demo but I know nothing about electrical work and plumbing.  I probably can't hang drywall.  I could maybe set tile and change out a faucet.  I would need some professional help.  Chip and Joanna please call me.

Another thing that is holding me back is knowledge.  I know that I lack the necessary knowledge to do it on my own so I won't.  So I sit and wait until the magical home improvement fairy comes to my house and fixes it.

Sometimes having knowledge sucks.

Sometimes you just have to believe in yourself.

A week or so ago one of my children asked for a piece of wood and some rope.  She didn't say why she needed them.  I trust this child so I gave them to her no questions asked.  She then asked if I could drill some holes in the wood, so I did.

Then we went outside and she proceeded to climb the tree with the rope.  She threw the rope over a branch and asked for my help attaching the rope to the wood and tying some knots.  Just like that, we had a tree swing.

She believed she could build a tree swing, so she built one.

Yesterday a similar thing happened.  She wanted a wooden tray for her room.  We were going to Target anyway so I let her pick one out.  Again I was asked to drill some holes in the tray so I did.

I left for an event that night.  When I came home, her dad told me I had to come up and see what she did.  I walked into her room and saw a hanging shelf.

She wanted a hanging shelf.  She believed she could build one, so she built one.

Confidence and believing you can do something mean that you can.  My daughter knew that.  She had an idea.  She knew she wanted to make that idea come true.  She asked for help when needed.  And then she did it.

She believed she could, so she did.

I believe I can, so I will.

Comments

Popular Posts